Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Antsy Season

I can tell it is December even without a calendar; December is when the ants arrive every year in my kitchen.

They start with just a trickle, a few scouts to see if they like the environs; apparently they do, as the flood is close behind.

I can't tell what they come for - they rarely invade even sugar left out on the counter, or stray bread crumbs, or any of the things you might expect would attract ants. Some say they just come in to get out of the rain. Whatever; come they do, every year like clockwork, just around the holidays, the better to embarrass me in front of family and friends.

I hate using pesticides, so I have opted instead for discouraging them with scented powders across their entry points. A long-term resident of the Point, the warm and charming Bob Peckham, reassured me that it isn't just me, that everyone in the Point has ants at this time of year, and taught me that sprinkling baby powder or cinnamon at their entry points would turn them away, so I've done that for the past ten years or so and it works amazingly well. A few of the little stinkers slip through but they just serve these days to remind me of Bob, who is in heaven now charming the saints.

I get antsy every December now; it's a holiday tradition, like putting up the wreath on the door and buying a poinsettia.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I've been using cinnamon for years. Currently Boris and Natasha's dining area is encircled with the stuff.

Saturday, December 11, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I did not know about cinnamon! You clever girls.
I don't have an ant problem in this house, but I have elsewhere. Merry Christmas!

Saturday, December 11, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, you knew this because you are a local - I had to learn it from a native.

Cookiecrumb, baby powder works, too, on the light colored surfaces - less visible. I'm not sure why I hate ants so much - they are pretty inoffensive, overall.

Sunday, December 12, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We get them every summer, I think they come for water, and the cat food. That's why I hate em, they get into the cats' food grrrr.

Sunday, December 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, Californian ants do not appear to like cat food - or at least they didn't when I had two cats. Nor do they look for Cora's leftovers. They don't seem to eat - they just come to annoy me.

Monday, December 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home