Monday, December 13, 2010

Crisp Clouds

The colors in this photo remind me of the kind of weather we've been having for the past week or so - leaden gray with touches of white. Our mud is a darker brown than this, but you get the idea. Ugh.

Walking the dog in the rain is a pain in the gazocks. Wiping her paws, toweling her off (hopefully before she shakes water all over the entry), standing under an umbrella waiting for her to do what we are out there for - but for the danger, one would be tempted to ignore the leash laws and just let her roam on her own.

The bright spot in a week of rain is baking little cookies to go with the hot tea that this kind of weather demands. I make cookies only very rarely and usually only at Christmas. I make pretty big batches, then freeze them and bring them out fresh for parties or for gifts to neighbors. These little raggedy-cloud cookies are my favorites of all. They are tiny - meant to be eaten in a single bite as they are crumbly and messy with powdered sugar. Just pop one in and lick your fingers. The taste is almost entirely toasted almonds, with only a little flour and butter to stick them together. I'd advise you to make some so you have them on hand for the next rainy day.

Nut Crisp Cookies

2 sticks of butter (8 ounces)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1-1/2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch salt
2 cups slivered, toasted almonds

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, vanilla and salt. Combine well. Stir in 2 cups almonds. Drop cookies in bite size onto a buttered cookie sheet (not necessary if using non-stick or parchment paper) about 1/2" apart. Form the rest in like manner. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let them cool completely on a rack, then sift confectioner's sugar over them. Store in airtight tins or freeze.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I don't bake cookies much either, but I'd do these. No leavening. I totally get it. And so very cute.
Plus, your name "crisp clouds" is poetic.

Monday, December 13, 2010  
Blogger Kitt said...

I love bite-sized cookies. These would be good as a gift, too. I may make some along with my cognac balls.

Monday, December 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, they are pretty rich - I think one would be enough for you.

Kitt, okay, now you have to give us the recipe for cognac balls!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I made Mexican wedding balls in home ec, grade 7, and I loved them. I might could eat one or two!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010  
Blogger Kitt said...

Here y'go!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Thanks, Kitt! Those sound like holiday bombs! Oh, baby!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home