Thursday, December 9, 2010

Currying Favor

I owe this curry to Peter Barrett, who gave me the idea to use my leftover kabocha squash soup as a base for curry. I would never have thought of that but it makes so much sense!

When I pulled my pot of soup out of the fridge and My Beloved raised the lid, the expression on his face told me he was not, and I do mean, not looking forward to another go-around with that soup. While he is normally fine with leftovers and he did enjoy the first serving of the soup, he's also a variety guy and loves a mix of tastes and flavors.

Providence smiled upon me when that same day I read that Peter had concocted curry from soup himself. Being the cheerful plagiarist that I am, I immediately stole his idea.

I sautéed a chopped onion in butter, then added some chunked carrot and fingerling potatoes for a Thai-style curry with vegetables. I even dumped in the very last serving of those colorful roasted veggies I made for Thanksgiving. I whisked curry powder into the soup, then poured both into the pot with the veggies, stirred and simmered for about 15 minutes. While the curry was cooking, I crisped a few rashers of bacon to crumble and set out (Peter's) little dishes of peanuts, green onion, raisins, chutney and minced white onion. I think of the toppings as more typical of Indian curry but we love the crunch and mix of flavors so I added them to the Thai-style as well. For the last few minutes, I stirred in about a cup of chicken picked from the roast one I made that week, just to heat it through before serving over jasmine rice.

The result was simply lovely, hearty and yet not heavy, savory and a little spicy without being nuclear, with lots of texture and sweet-salt toppings. I hope my variety guy won't mind - there's enough left over for dinner again tonight.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Let's hope that your continued tinkering with the vegetable mixture will continue to "curry favor." Curry is my standby for vegetables that are still good but that are a bit on the "tired" side - but that's probably one of the original uses for curry. Have you ever read the "Forme of Curry" - it's a medieval cookbook and a lot of fun.

Thursday, December 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Nicely done. I favor curry.

Thursday, December 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, no, I haven't read that, even tho' it was apparently written after I was born.

Cookiecrumb, me, too - it's one of my favorite dishes.

Friday, December 10, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

IS there a cookbook written AFTER you were born? Nay, it's not possible. But if you are curious, you can download a PDF file of the cookbook here. Who knows? You might find some new inspirations: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/

Friday, December 10, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, youse funny. Thanks for the link.

Monday, December 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home