Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas

I'm really more of a heathen than a Christian but I never miss a chance to get presents so I celebrate the heck out of Christmas. I love the way the house smells with a Douglas fir in the corner of the living room and there is nothing more fun than stockings full of creative little gifties and packages under the tree full of delightful mysteries.

I put up a wreath and buy a poinsettia each year. Sometimes, I even hang little lights on the railing of the front porch. We love the carolers who come around a few evenings before Christmas and we have several CDs of Christmas music. I like the wrappings, the ribbons, the decorations and the shine.

This hasn't been an untroubled Christmas season for us what with serious illness touching My Beloved's family, concern over my sister who has taken it into her head to drive from North Carolina to California for Christmas all by herself with her little dog and no cell phone *, and the news that a much-admired elderly relative is on her way to heaven, but on the plus side, we got to spend extra time with our baby grandson and to provide a little support to My Beloved's daughters while they comforted their mother in the hospital.

The sun gets higher in the sky each day now as we turn toward the new year and we are encouraged by recovery from illness, by hope that my wacky sister will be okay in the wilds of nowhere and the knowledge that our elderly cousin is calm and ready to go.

I hope your Christmas is peaceful, that all your relatives arrive safely and that the sun shines brightly on you in the coming year. Merry Christmas and Peace on Earth.

*She made it, safe and sound!

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Merry Christmas, Zoomie! Kisses to Buzz. (I know. He expects them from me.)
Must hear more about your sister...

Saturday, December 25, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am glad to hear that your sister is safe and sound! I love the more pagan aspects of this time of year, the recognition of the seasons and the earth's turning into a new cycle. I feel that your blog is a daily present - may that long continue!

Saturday, December 25, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Merry merry, and here's to a better new year!
Mr Brown wanted to say an extra hello to Buzz from him "hello Buzz".

Saturday, December 25, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, thanks for the good wishes. I'll kiss him for you, shall I?

Nancy, what a very nice thing to say! You have made my day. Merry Solstice to you.

Ms Mouse, I will pass along Mr. Brown's greeting. All the best in 2011!

Sunday, December 26, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Hmmm, my sentiments exactly, expressed very nicely (including having a wacky sister).
I hope you have a wonderful New Year - all of it ;-))

Monday, December 27, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, thanks for the kind words. Someday we will have to compare sister notes.

Monday, December 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home