Sunday, December 19, 2010

I'm Babysitting

This is what a fond grandmother looks like to a 3 year old. I know that because our granddaughter Mia took this picture of me when I was back east visiting her and her new baby brother.

The baby brother, Owen, "the O-Man" as we call him, is in town now with his Mom - sadly, not for a good reason. My Beloved's first wife, a tiny but feisty lady, is in the hospital and their older daughter flew in to help, bringing 10-week old Owen with her. (He earned his wings on the flight over). Mia and her Daddy will follow in a few days - they will all be reunited by Christmas.

All this as prelude to telling you that My Beloved and I are babysitting the O-Man this week, helping out while daughter Sarah is keeping her Mom company in the hospital. Because of that, I may be posting a good deal less than normal.

There is some good news sandwiched in here - Owen lets me hold him without crying, a rarity among infants who generally hate me until they grow older and more discerning, and he likes my standard lullaby, "Anchors Aweigh."

So, in case I don't see you, have a Happy Christmas and keep your fingers crossed for that small, feisty lady. She could use some positive energy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm sending white healing light to all in that family and good singing vibes to you. I never knew that you could sing! Hey HO! For a sailing we will go!

Sunday, December 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Difficult! Still, I'll bet you're loving every minute.

Sunday, December 19, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks for the healing vibes - they are working! She might even be released from hospital tomorrow! I can't sing, by the way, which is why it seems so surprising that Owen likes my lullaby.

Cookiecrumb, well, perhaps not every _single_ minute since babies do cry a lot even when they are fed and napped and have clean dipes. Jiggling seems to help. Maybe he's just bored?

Sunday, December 19, 2010  
Blogger kudzu said...

My father was in the Navy in WWII and whenever my class sang "Anchors Aweigh" at school, I would get tears in my eyes. (I thought of it as "anchors away..." meaning "gone".)

I'm glad the baby likes it and I know you like being with the baby.

Good thoughts for the hospitalized lady.

Monday, December 20, 2010  
Blogger Nick Raymon said...

hahah
Nice post...
Childcare Mississauga

Wednesday, December 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nick, glad you liked it. I see you're from one of my very favorite cities - Toronto! Welcome.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I get a little misty when I hear "Anchors Aweigh," too, as I grew up in the Navy and it does mean "away" in a very real sense. The Navy Hymn undoes me completely.

Thanks for the kind wishes to the patient - she was sprung on Monday and still has IV antibiotics but at least she is home!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home