Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lambasted

I'll bet you think that looks like a big mess of bacon, don't you? You'd be right, except the rashers are small and slender - it's lamb bacon.

I had never heard of such a thing before taking a pleasure trip out to Point Reyes Station and stopping at Marin Sun Farms for a dozen of their amazing eggs. One of the meats they had on display was the lamb bacon. Irresistible!

We crisped it as you would regular bacon and served it alongside half a bagel and a couple of those sunny yellow eggs. You can tell how nearly orange the yolks were before scrambling by the color they retain after. They look like I touched them up on Photoshop but, uh, no. We basted the bottom of the pan with a little of the lamb fat rendered from the bacon for a little extra flavor before we poured in the eggs.

The bacon tasted smoky and salty at first, as one expects from bacon, but after a couple of chews, here came that distinctive, dark lamb flavor almost as an aftertaste. There was no sweetness, which I liked given the strong flavor of the lamb. My Beloved wolfed down his portion and looked so longingly at mine that I took pity on him and gave him a couple of strips. I think he would tell you he loved having his innards lambasted.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

You're having Lamb Bacon, Cookie's having Duck Bacon - what's the world coming to ???

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Hmmmm, lamb bacon huh?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Hmmmm.....I might even like that?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That lambastard, stealing from your plate!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, it's a whole new world, isn't it? Who knows what's next? There's nothing a bacon lover won't try to cure.

Chilebrown, yes, interesting stuff. Want some?

Greg, you don't sound very sure. Taste and see, next time you're out in West Marin.

Cookiecrumb, it's those big, sad blue eyes and the trembling chin that get to me. I'm putty in his hands.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Anonymous Peter said...

I'm hoping to buy half a lamb next month so I can get my hands on some belly and do just that with it.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I'll look forward to reading about your lamb adventures.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home