Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sweet Moments

This cookie comes from my first husband's mother. Most women hate their mothers-in-law but I was lucky - both of mine were awfully nice. The first, Elna, was an amazing woman in lots of ways but what really won me over were her Melting Moments.

These dainty little cookies are as simple as it's possible to be, but they are also extraordinary in their texture and flavor. Two buttery, pinkie-sized cookies glued together with a little colored, vanilla-scented icing shouldn't pack the rich wallop that they do but, baby, do they ever!

The best part is the texture, which quite literally melts. You may have had cookies before that were called Melting Moments, but they are frauds - these are the only ones I have found that live up to their billing. Both cookie and icing soften and dissolve in the first instant, flowing across the tongue with sweet surprise. When I had a tea party for a couple of charming children in my neighborhood, the girls helped me to make Melting Moments. When I packed a tin of cookies for them to take home, the older girl asked very politely for more Melting Moments than any other kind. The kid has good taste.

Next time you are having a tea party, or just want a sweet bite of your own, Melting Moments are the ticket. All by themselves, they are a reason to adore one's mother-in-law. If you happen to be a mother-in-law, now you know what to do.

Melting Moments from Mom T

Use a cold oven. If you are making several kinds of cookies, start with these as they go into a cold oven.

1 cup butter
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in flour with a spoon. Drop by 1/2 teaspoon onto cookie sheets, close together. Put into a cold oven. Turn on the oven to 300 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes, or until very, very lightly browned on the bottom - don't let them darken. Stick two cooled cookies together with colored icing between.

Icing

2 Tablespoons soft butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat with a beater until smooth. Divide into two portions and, stirring in a tiny drop of food coloring, make green and pink icing (I've tried blue and yellow - not pretty!)


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

STOP! Enough with the cookie recipes! I read them, drool, think I can make that and give them away, know I won't, go back to drooling. I know myself. If I made these - and if they were a fraction as good as yours must be, I'd eat the whole plate and hate myself when I got on the scales.
Get thee behind me Satan! Who knew that temptation would come in the form of a very pleasant looking lady with a gorgeous dog, a wonderful husband and a beautiful house!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

You cookie monster!!!;)

Wednesday, December 15, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Wow, your friends hate you! Ha ha.
Looking at the beautiful tinted icing, I wondered if you might skip the vanilla and flavor with rosewater and mint or lime. Something like that.
Great.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My mother-in-law had pretty much given up on the cooking front by the time I entered the picture, pity, because Mr Brown reports she was an excellent cook when he was a boy.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you'll be glad to know that this is the last cookie recipe.

Greg, et tu, Brute?

Cookiecrumb, yes, it's a lowering thought but apparently true. I actually like the vanilla, but I also like your idea of changing up the flavors. Next time=next year.

Ms Mouse, all men think their mothers were good cooks. That's probably true, too, because their mothers stopped cooking stuff the sons hated. :-)

Thursday, December 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home